Talks and speaking.
“There is a lot of bad news doing the rounds about sustainability and climate change, but there is good news, too. One piece of good news is this: every positive change that people make, no matter how small, is a small step towards a better future for people and planet.” — Suzanne Whitby
I am passionate about all the good things that are happening in the world – and raising awareness about some of the not-so-good news – and one way that I do that is by offering talks.
I offer talks and speak at schools, community groups, conferences, art galleries, museums, airports, botanical gardens and more.
I usually talk in English although I can have a go in German, and offer the following:
I talk about all sorts of things, but some of my areas of expertise include:
- A love affair with plastic – what’s the story behind plastic, the problems, the solutions
- The blue planet – our oceans are invaluable but they’re dying. What’s the story?
- Transition – what happens if the world goes to war tomorrow? Do we have a sustainable community that can produce food, support each other and thrive? A talk about the concept of transition.
- The portfolio career – the world is changing and instead of opting for a single career, some people are choosing to create a portfolio of jobs. What is a portfolio career, how can you craft one and what are teh pros and cons?
- Culture shock – a story about travel, communication and mis-communication from an armchair anthropologist.
- Where were you when: a powerful set of three stories, set in the future, where ordinary people talk about life without fish, life without elephants, and life on a very different planet to the one we know (adults and older teens)
- It’s all connected: eco-tales and earth stories to get people thinking (children, adults, families)
Awakening the Dreamer symposium:
I am a trained facilitator of the Awakening the Dreamer symposium, a 2-4 hour programme generated to raise awareness of the plight of our planet and to provoke thought and discussion about the small steps we can all take to change the world.
If you can provide the venue, the tools (projector & screen or a flat screen projector) and help bring along a crowd, I’d love to speak at your location!
If you think that having me at your event or your school to talk about any of these themes might be interesting, get in touch.
"This too shall pass"
— Engraved on a ring by a Persian wise man, in answer the challenge to find a sentence that would be true and appropriate in all times and situations...