Speaking and giving talks.
“There is no wealth like knowledge, and no poverty like ignorance.”
— Buddha (c. 400/500 BC, founder of Buddhism)
From time to time, I give talks and speak at schools, community groups, conferences, art galleries, museums, airports, botanical gardens and other unusual places about what I know and what I am passionate about.
That means that my topics can vary from the power of storytelling to the power of WordPress, from marketing to intercultural communication, from sustainability to the importance of reading aloud as a way to develop literacy, and from entrepreneurship to portfolio careers.
I usually talk in English although I can have a go in German.
I talk about all sorts of things, but some of my areas of expertise include:
- A love affair with plastic – what’s the story behind plastic, the problems, the solutions
- The blue planet – our oceans are invaluable but they’re dying. What’s the story?
- Transition – what happens if the world goes to war tomorrow? Do we have a sustainable community that can produce food, support each other and thrive? A talk about the concept of transition.
- The portfolio career – the world is changing and instead of opting for a single career, some people are choosing to create a portfolio of jobs. What is a portfolio career, how can you craft one and what are teh pros and cons?
- Culture shock – a story about travel, communication and mis-communication from an armchair anthropologist.
- Where were you when: a powerful set of three stories, set in the future, where ordinary people talk about life without fish, life without elephants, and life on a very different planet to the one we know (adults and older teens)
- It’s all connected: eco-tales and earth stories to get people thinking (children, adults, families)
Awakening the Dreamer symposium:
I am a trained facilitator of the Awakening the Dreamer symposium, a 2-4 hour programme generated to raise awareness of the plight of our planet and to provoke thought and discussion about the small steps we can all take to change the world.
If you can provide the venue, the tools (projector & screen or a flat screen projector) and help bring along a crowd, I’d love to speak at your location!
If you think that having me at your event or your school to talk about any of these themes might be interesting, get in touch.
This too shall pass
— Engraved on a ring by a Persian wise man, in answer the challenge to find a sentence that would be true and appropriate in all times and situations...